Monday, August 13, 2007

First day of school

Conversation in the car on the way to first day of 4th grade:

Me: So, do we need to go over your rules while you are at school?

R: No, I hate school. Why do I have to go?

Me: Well, it is your job, just like my job is to go to work and make money to support our family. Everyone has to either go to work or go to school.

R: What about kittens? Do they have to go to school or go to work?

Me: Well, no.

R: Then, why can't I stay home like the kittens?

Sigh. He didn't want to walk up the stairs (stopped halfway on them and didn't want to budge), he didn't want to go in his classroom, he didn't want to sit in his seat. It took me about 15 minutes, but I finally got him in his seat. And, then I left. Bless his new teacher, and I hope that he has better luck than I did this AM. I haven't had a call from school yet, so--fingers crossed.

All I could think about as I left the school was: I am so envious of all you other parents of kids who are calmly or excitedly sitting in their chairs right now.

No comments: