Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Serious Busy Girl returns to her roots

My poem is now online at The Nashville Scene. The picture is cropped so closely that I can't remember exactly which shot it was (obviously, not the one of me and Poetry with a Capital P!). It looks decent enough...does anyone ever really like a picture of themselves? I always think I look way more serious in pictures than I really am (except for pictures taken at the end of a night of imbibing the demon rum...or the demon Cosmopolitan). The bio is word-for-word what I wrote in a email to the editor when she asked me to send in my bio. I figured they would probably do that, so I tried to write a good one. I didn't make it as folksy as the other writers...so, again, I end up sounding like The Serious Busy Girl. I think that this is my life's philosophy...when in doubt, be serious, wear black, be overdressed rather than underdressed. I promise I can be fun and spontaneous...really, I have references and everything.

The other cool thing is that the other 2 poems that I submitted ("Paramecium Love" and "Tribology") both received "finalist" (read: close, but no cigar) status. I feel good. I knew that I would.

Thanksgiving, the American homage to all things stuffed, looms on the horizon. The best thing about it is that I get a 5-day holiday, which I will spend driving all over the Deep South. I will take lots of pictures, and might even post some here. I will be going back to the land of my birth--McComb, MS--the Fatherland, home to Bo Diddley, Britney Spears (well, Kentwood, LA is just McComb South), the Rhinestone Cowboy, and me. Oh, and one of the streets is named E. Presley Boulevard after the King himself. Viva Pike County!

PS--I still have the computer-generated message from Bill Clinton on my answering machine. I can't erase it. Is there a 12-step group for me?

No comments: