Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday

This morning, R. slammed into the door at school first thing. Then, he rolled up in a ball and rocked back and forth on the floor when he was supposed to be doing his work. I couldn't even get his headphones on him. Finally, as I tried to ignore what was going on, he started taking off his pants (to get my attention? because the waistband of his underwear was bothering him? I don't know). I was so angry at him...

But, I finally got him on track, got his headphones and "hug belt" on him, and got him in his seat. I left and told his teacher that at least he was being quiet and sitting in a chair. A small triumph.

Update: I went to check in on him at lunchtime. His teacher said that he had tried to take off his pants again, and I was reminded that we need to get him larger underwear (maybe that will help? He keeps complaining of "rashes," which I think are just the waistband bothering him). He had his headphones on and was reading a "Captain Underwear" book (do you see a theme emerging?) in his quiet place. He had settled down so much; I was proud of him.

His teacher was concerned that he wasn't doing any work and especially since she will start grading them soon. I told her that I wasn't concerned with grades; I would be happy just to have consistent good behavior from him. I think she thinks I'm a strange parent that way! She also asked me if I had thought about how he will deal with middle school...I couldn't tell her that I think about this all the time...way too much. Instead, I said that we take it one year at a time (one day at a time!), and we'll deal with that when it happens. She's really trying to help R., and I do appreciate it, but this is all new for her. R. and the new teacher are both on the learning curve.

As I left R. at recess (which he hates), he was contentedly reading his book with his headphones on...sitting on the stairs...doing the best he can do.

No comments: