Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A little sunshine

It's Wednesday and we've received no phone calls from the school in so long...I've stopped cringing every time my cellphone rings. So, the good news is that R. seems to have settled into the routine of school, and is not acting out aggressively these days.

When my mom was visiting last week, she decided to visit R.'s school on Friday and observe what goes on during his day (she also got to help put together some cool science kits that they are using this week!). Her observations were that R. is wearing his headphones almost all day and while he is behaving well, he is not connecting with the other kids and is not participating in the classroom activities like he should be. I told her that this was probably because we were trying to deal first with the more pressing issue of getting him to stop acting out aggressively...that was my primary concern at the beginning of school. But now that we've reached that goal, my next concern is his academics and social skills.

The good news is that, unbeknownst to me, the school OT had contacted the head of Autism Services for the public school system (I didn't even know that this person existed!) and she has come to observe R. this week. She asked lots of questions about his IEP, and I think she is going to be a great resource in getting R. the services that he needs. The teacher seemed very optimistic about this and said that they may be calling an IEP meeting soon to discuss this person's findings/recommendations. Yahoo! It is always amazing to me when the system works correctly...

So, hooray for the school OT, hooray for R's classroom teacher for hanging in there with him, and hooray for R. for doing the best he can every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is where we find ourselves with Owen now, ready to begin some social skills instruction, since he is able to behave well in the classroom.
Sounds like you have some great folks on your son's team.
Good luck with your IEP meeting.

DivaMommy said...

Thanks, Tara! I appreciate your good wishes...will keep everyone posted on how it all goes. Good luck with Owen and his social skills instruction, too!