Thursday, September 07, 2006

Over the hump

It's Thursday, and R. has had a great week. I hope I'm not jinxing anything by saying that before Friday afternoon.

His teacher wanted to try something new today...instead of him coming in and going directly to his "quiet space," she wanted him to go to his desk and start his morning work. If he did this, she said that she would give him 20 minutes on the class computer. Well, he balked a bit at first, and I thought he wouldn't be able to get it together at all. But, I made him put on his headphones, put his "hug belt" on him and his weighted lap pad, and he did it! He was worried about the regrouping in math (he hates it when he has to regroup in addition or subtraction...it messes up his sense of order!), but I helped him through the first few problems. He seemed to be able to do it in his head (he doesn't like writing the extra numbers at the top of the problem). So many things that make no sense to rest of us, but make perfect sense to him.

The bottom line is that he got over the hump. I left him happily working on the class computer. Fingers crossed for no phone calls from school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY SWEETIE...DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GO "OBSERVE, HELP OUT, VOLUNTEER" THE DAYS I AM THERE? I HAVE SOME IDEAS, BUT FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM IN ACTION AND THEN SHARE THE IDEAS WITH YOU AND YOU COULD PASS THEM ON...UP TO YOU.